Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Tuesday 1 January 2013

new year and waitiversary

Today year SIX of the wait for my daughter begins. Since it's much too traumatic (and I don't use the word loosely) to think about that, I'll just focus on the positive and put down a few thoughts about 2012 and 2013. I survived 2012, thanks to travel, mother nature, a new kayak and a bit of magic. September 29 was a magical day that topped all the others (I'll tell you about it someday), but another great day was the one I spent sea kayaking in Somerset Bay, Bermuda. On this frigid January 1st in Ottawa, where the snow is piled up to my roof, this photo taken on that mostly perfect day in Bermuda (the only thing that was missing was my girl) warms my heart. I can't wait until the day I can finally show my daughter my island love.


I have hope for 2013. I believe that 13 is my lucky number, that my stars are aligning right now, and that my girl will finally, finally be coming home this year. While I wait for the magic, I need the things that keep me going, i.e., travel, nature and a kayak. So I'm planning a February eco-adventure in Belize! I will meet my group in Belize City, then we will visit Mayan pyramids in the mountains, hike in the jungle at the Crooked Tree bird sanctuary, snorkel at the Blue Hole of Belize, and camp and kayak at Lighthouse Reef atoll (base camp photo below).


Besides Belize, there's not much I know for sure going into 2013. But there is one very important thing: I am one step closer to my girl. So this song, One Step Closer to You by Michael Franti and Spearhead, is for her today. It helped bring a little friend of mine home from Ethiopia last year, and now it's time for Michael to work a little magic in Vietnam. For those of you also waiting to adopt, you know--either first hand or through stories like mine--that it takes too long, it's too hard, and the risk of someone stealing your dream is too high. But if your heart tells you that your child is out there waiting, pick yourself up and follow through, because she needs you as much as you need her. I wish you a happy new year and a miracle.


I've been down for far too long
Till my faith was nearly gone
I never knew somebody just like you
Could be a friend I could call my own

Till I let go of a broken heart
I let go to an open heart
I let go of my broken dream
I let go to the mystery
And I believe in the miracles
I believe in the spiritual
I believe in the one above
I believe in the one I love

And take one step closer to you
I just take one step closer to you
Even when I've fallen down
My heart says follow through
I take one step closer to you

                                 - Michael Franti


2 comments:

  1. Wishing you much JOY in 2013! Belize sounds wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belize sounds like a great escape! What a great escape! Kayaking will be a great adventure for you one your little one day in the NOT SO DISTANT future, fingers crossed. Happy New Year and Best Wishes for 2013
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete